Thursday 26 April 2012

Review: The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Queen (Iron Fey #3) by Julie Kagawa
Published by Mira Ink 2011



My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.                                                           

This time, there will be no turning back. 




The end of The Iron Daughter saw Ash and Meghan exiled to the mortal realm, with nowhere to go but home to Meghan's family. Soon, Meghan realises that her struggles are far from over. She will have to return to Faery to face the new Iron King and stop the war between the Summer, Winter and Iron fey, and stop the Iron Kingdom from destroying the Nevernever for good. This will be the greatest battle Meghan will ever have to face.

The Iron Queen is the last book from Meghan's point of view. I enjoyed the previous two books, but this one just blew those completely out of the water and I thought it was great. 

Meghan and Ash are now in the mortal realm after being exiled, but they have to return to Faery to the stop the war once and for all. Meghan has grown so much as a character throughout the series, and in this book I really felt like she'd managed to reach her full potential. She was strong and wise, and fearless. She was willing to die for what she believed in and for the Nevernever. In previous books, I'd felt that she was a bit too reckless, but there wasn't really any evidence of that here. The banishment to the mortal realm also changed Ash. He let his guard down since he no longer belonged to the Unseelie Court. We get to see him for who he truly his beneath his icy persona, and I found myself really warming up to him. 

There are more risks than ever before, and the characters know it. Nevertheless, Meghan, Ash and Puck (because where would anyone be without him? Of course he shows up) dive into the mission with fiery determination. This book is rife with action and I loved every moment of it. Mingle that with a romance that knew no bounds - all-consuming and passionate - and we have ourselves a winner! The Iron Queen also had a whole host of new characters that I loved, and I definitely didn't expect the new Iron King to be who he was revealed to be. The way the ending played out was even less expected; it was simply tragic, and I can't wait to see where The Iron Knight goes.

5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment