Tuesday 29 November 2011

Review: The Splendour Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore

The Splendour Falls by Rosemary Clement Moore
Published by Corgi 2009




Sylvie is broken. Her father's death broke her heart. Her mother's remarriage broke her spirit. And a broken leg ended her career as a ballerina. She's lost so much... is she losing her mind as well? 

Shawn is the resident golden boy, the one everyone thinks Sylvie should be with, the obvious choice. 

Rhys is handsome and mysterious and has a hold on Sylvie that she doesn't quite understand. 

A heroine who will steal your heart. 
A house that will haunt you. 
A love story that will leave you breathless.



It took me over a week to read this. A week. Now that is a pretty long time for me to be reading the same book because one book usually takes me five days at the absolute most, not nine days. But anyway, on to the review. I had put off reading this for about six months, so it just sat there under my desk. But when I actually started reading it, I was immediately disappointed. It was so slow. Excruciatingly so. By 100 or so pages, nothing really happened apart from Sylvie moving to Bluestone Hill (accompanied by lots of long descriptions which I quickly grew tired of) and establishing that there was something odd about the place. So needless to say, I was a little more than frustrated. That aside, the book was somewhat enjoyable. I did, however, like how Sylvie worked in the garden and the feeling it gave her. I also loved Rhys and I hadn't liked Shawn from the very beginning. Things started to get really intriguing and exciting towards the last quarter of the book. I liked how everything the book was obviously building up to was epic and it all tied together nicely. The ending is not what I had initially expected and I loved that. Things that I had thought were ordinary and didn't really take much notice of ended up surprising me, such as the Teen Town Council. I also felt as if the love story was there, but nothing happened to it/in it until the last quarter. And yes, this book has ghosts. Now, I'm very touchy on the subject of ghosts but I took it in stride and it turned out to very intriguing and interesting to read; it kept me on my toes and I did at times feel as if I wanted to know more about the background story of the book. Overall, this book was enjoyable enough; however, I thought that it was a bit slow and that the descriptions present in the book didn't really need to be quite so long in places. 

3 stars

P.S. I loved Sylvie's dog, Gigi!

No comments:

Post a Comment