Thursday 17 November 2011

Review: 0.4 by Mike Lancaster

0.4 by Mike Lancaster 
Published by Egmont 2011






It's a brave new world. 

'My name is Kyle Straker. And I don't exist anymore.' 

So begins the story of Kyle Straker, recorded onto old audiotapes. You might think these tapes are a hoax, but perhaps they contain the history of a past world....If what the tapes say is true, it means that everything we think we know is a lie. 

And if everything we know is a lie, does that mean that we are, too?



0.4 is quite a different read to anything I would normally read and is intriguing to say the least. I expected something completely different to what was dished out but it still made for a very enjoyable read. The novel's main character is Kyle Straker, and he has recorded his story onto a series of old tapes. From the very first page, I was kept on my toes and nothing happened the way I expected to, which I loved. I loved how real and normal Kyle was; not supernatural or arrogant or annoying, just ordinary, and that made him relatable in my point of view.  The novel starts off right before all the strange events in Kyle's story occur, so you're immediately thrown into the story. I also enjoyed the other main characters: Lilly, Mrs. O'Donnell and Mr. Peterson. However, Lilly and Mrs. O'Donnell did annoy me at times, mainly towards the middle and end of the novel because of their refusal to accept any of Kyle's theories and their attitude towards him. I had initially thought that Mr, Peterson was just a strange man but he really comes into his own towards the end of the novel. The middle of the novel is when everything starts to piece together and from then on it really gets quite exciting and intriguing. It's very fast paced and I couldn't put down, although I wish that the ending had been a bit clearer and we had got to know where all the characters ended up. That aside, it was very enjoyable and easy read; I'll be looking out for more of Mike Lancaster's books in the future. 


4 stars 

1 comment:

  1. oh, 0.4 ;D i've thought of reading it but then in the end I decided not to. My friend have read it though, she said it was fine and actually kinda creepy and all. She told me few things that happened in the book, which put my decision in not reading it final,. :)

    ReplyDelete