Saturday 17 December 2011

Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare
Published by Walker 2011



In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, while her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will - the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers to who she is and what she is born to do? As the search for the truth leads the three friends into peril, Tessa's heart is increasingly torn, especially when one of their own betrays them...


Words cannot describe how awesome this book is. Cassandra Clare has never failed to disappoint, and this is no exception. I had all my fangirl moments at various points in the book: the heart-leaping, the heart-breaking, the squeals, the jumping up and down and the almost tears. 
We see a lot of development in relationships in the instalment. We see a lot more of Jem, which is great because I thought we didn't really see much of him in Clockwork Angel and it was nice to see how the relationship between Jem and Tessa grew. We also see a new, darker side to Jem which makes itself known at various points. But there was also a lot of development regarding Will, and the why is the way he is is revealed in this book. We finally get to see the true meaning behind how Will behaves. The moments Sophie had were very sweet and heartfelt, and I felt really happy for her. The relationship between Charlotte and Henry also sees development, which was incredibly sweet and I again felt really happy for them. However, this book also had lots of mystery and suspense, as Cassandra Clare's books do. New information on the Magister comes to light; we see betrayals, dark secrets revealed and a lot of progress in finding him. The truth to how Tessa is the way she is also comes to light but is yet to be fully investigated. Clare always manages to make the story feel so real, and I felt as if I were journeying throughout the book with the characters. I can see why Tessa is so torn between Will and Jem; at the start of the book, I wasn't really sure which team I was on,  later on I was Team Jem and at the end I became unsure again. Clare kept me in suspense throughout the story and I was always on the edge of my seat, both with the romance and the mystery. There's plenty of action, romance and mystery in this book as there are in all of Clare's books, and she always gets the balance just right. Can't wait for the final instalment into the series; how will I wait until late next year?!
5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment